I need more tools....apparently

| Wednesday, February 29, 2012 | |
So, Im working on putting that sweet new alien tank on my bike and holy crap, this is difficult when you don't have the right tools.  For example:

1) I started drilling 3/4" holes in the backbone to weld threaded bungs into. I center-punched where the tank tabs would be and started off with small drills progressively moving up. It went well all the way up my regular drills. I then switched over to a uni-bit and continued on until I realized that the uni-bit was longer than the backbone tube is deep. No sweat, I'll research 3/4" drill bits with 1/2" shanks. Well I found out they exist and I bought one at Home Depot. Sadly when I got home I realized my drill is a 3/8" chuck. Back to Home Depot for a new drill. Got a Black and Decker 1/2" chuck drill. Tried drilling with it and I guess I need to step up in drill sizes like the uni-bit because that fucker will not drill!!! Ok, I can run to the store on Friday and pick up in-between size drills.

2)  Well, it's still early and I'm a bit depressed because I can't drill my holes. So, I'll fire up my oxy/acetylene torch and cut the footpeg mounts of my old frame. Started to cut the 1st one off. I was able to hit it with my hammer and get it to come off. At that time I realized I was out of oxygen. So it's back to Tractor Supply this weekend to refill the oxygen tank.

I'm going to bed. I have pics to post, but I'll do that tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment